As the end of the year closes in, now is a great time to take inventory of your finances and make a list of steps you need to take to end the year on a strong financial note. (Not to mention, it gives you a few minutes away from a house full of holiday guests!)
To help, I thought I’d share a few tips on where to focus your efforts as you wrap up the year:
- Review your financial goals – Take time to reflect on your financial goals and assess your progress. Have you met the goals you set at the beginning of the year? If not, what steps can you take now to catch up?
- Assess your expenses – Review your spending habits over the past year; try using budgeting software to see your actual expenses and identify areas where you need to cut back or adjust. Looking at the data will help you create a more efficient and realistic budget for the coming year.
- Maximize retirement contributions –
- If you haven’t already done so, consider contributing the maximum amount allowable to your retirement accounts. This will reduce your taxable income and help you build a healthy retirement nest egg.Take advantage of tax-saving strategies – Explore all available tax deductions and credits. You may want to consider making charitable donations before the end of the year to reduce your tax liability. Remember, it’s best to consult a tax professional for personalized advice.
- Plan for tax season – Gather and organize all your financial and tax-related documents to make the tax filing process smoother. Start researching potential tax changes that may affect you in the upcoming year.
- Review insurance coverage – Evaluate your insurance policies, including health, home, auto, and life insurance. Let your agent know of any significant life events or adjustments to ensure you have appropriate coverage and aren’t paying for frivolous extras.
- Set goals for the upcoming year – Whether saving for a down payment, paying off debt, building an emergency fund, or budgeting for a major purchase, having a plan will help you stay on track.
Remember, staying financially healthy is an ongoing process that requires regular monitoring and frequent adjustments. If you need help or have questions, I’m here to help you with tailored guidance to address your needs. Please contact me at email@example.com or call Tel: 402.525.0548, Office: 402.331.8600.
Securities offered through Teckmeyer Financial Services LLC, Member FINRA, and SIPC
11104 John Galt Blvd., Omaha, NE 68137