101 Things to Do in Henderson this Summer
1. Sample the tasty treats at Stacy Lynnâ€™s Garage Sale stop June 13.
2. Attend the Writers Workshop at Heritage Park June 27.
3. Sign up for the Junior Auxiliary Jaunt July 11 and run or walk a 5K or 10K race.
4. Take a dip at the Henderson Aquatic Center between 1â€“8 pm every day of the week.
5. Walk around the Lakeview Park.Â One entire lap = one mile.
6. Check out the bronze sculpture in the Downtown Park titled Water: The Lifeblood of Agriculture.
7. Heartland Community Schools is building two new play structures volunteer to help them build these structures at the beginning of July.
8. Stop by the Henderson Farmers Market each Tuesday from 5-7 pm to buy locally grown produce and homemade baked goods.
9. Go fishing at the Lake View Park.
10. Get creative and paint your own door hanging as part of the Bethesda Preschool Fundraiser June 18.
11. Stop by the Chamber BBQ on Friday, July 10, for a beef sandwich, baked beans, chips, ice cream, and a drink for $6.
12. Attend the End of Summer Party at the Farmers Market on August 18.Â Vendors, food, and family games will be available.
13. New this year to Community Days is the Youth 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament Sign up your 3rd-8th grader for this tournament happening north of the Downtown Park July 11.
14. Learn about the history of the people who settled in this area at Henderson Mennonite Heritage Park. They are open Tuesday-Saturday from 1-4 pm or by appointment.
15. If you are 18 or older, enjoy Adult swim at Henderson Aquatic Center Mondayâ€“Friday from 12 Noonâ€“1 pm and from 5:30-6 pm.
16. Make a point to study the Mural on the south side of Mainstay Communications.
17. Stop by the Henderson Sports Complex almost any night of the week to cheer on the local softball and baseball teams.Â
18. Checkout the newest retail shopping spot just outside of town at Willow Station their next open house is schedule for the end of August.
19. Participate in the Summer Reading Program at Heartland Community Schools.
20. Fly a drone in the Park.
21. Fill up on pancakes at the Annual Heritage Park Pancake Feed Saturday, July 11, from 6:30-9:30 am. Â Â
22. Signup for the Kids Camp at Heritage Park on July 15.Â
23. See where your class stacks up in the First Annual Alumni Volleyball Tournament on Friday, July 10.
24. Play 9-Holes of Golf at Galaway Creek Golf Course.Â
25. Paddle boat at Lake View Park.Â
26. Check out the cars at the Show & Shine Car Show on Saturday, July 11, from 1-4 pm in the LakeView Park.
27. Take swimming lessons.Â Lessons are available for all ages and levels of swimmers.
28. Browse the selection of fashion, home dÃ©cor, housewares, food, kids, and baby items at the Petal Pusher.
29. Make a splash at the Family Pool Party Saturday, July 11, from 7-9 pm.
30. Try every flavor of Prieska at the Henderson Farmers Market. Â Â
31. Pick up some tacos on Tuesday from the Henderson Food Mart for lunch.
32. Signup for the Schnetya Baking Class at Heritage Park on July 29.
33. Several golf tournaments will be happening at Galaway Creek Golf Course this summer including the Henderson Health Care Foundation Golf Tournament August 21.Â
34. Located on the north side of the interstate, Prairie Oasis Campground is the perfect place for a short camping trip or day long staycation.
35. Take in some art at Friesen Gallery. Vern Friesen always has a few pieces on display in addition to items that are for sale and custom projects he is working on.
36. While this project will last longer than the summer take some time to check out the Main Street Construction project and watch as it progresses throughout the summer.
37. Grab your phone and a selfie-stick and get ready for the Selfie Scavenger Hunt starting at 10 am on July 10 with forms available at Henderson Food Mart.
38. Enter your favorite pie in the Pie Bake Off July 11 and see how you stack again the competition.
39. Shop the dÃ©cor, gifts, and specialty candy at Henderson Pharmacy.
40. Purchase your ticket for the Chamberâ€™s Big BEEF Raffle.Â You could be the lucky winner for one of two changes to win a quarter of beef.
41. Buy some fresh sweet corn at the Farmers Market and see how many ears you can eat in one setting.
42. Make a point to go to the Verenika and Fried Chicken Buffet on Sunday at Dutch Kitchen.
43. Be sure to take the kids to the downtown park Saturday, July 11, for free inflatables and kids games.
44. Get your team ready for the Human Fooseball Tournament July 11.Â
45. Go to senior swim at the pool from 11 amâ€“12 Noon Monday-Friday, but only if youâ€™re a senior.
46. Pack a picnic and eat it in the Downtown Park.
47. Check out the old “Welcome to Henderson” sign displayed at Kroeker Grain & Lumber.
48. Sign up as a vendor at the Farmers Market and sell home grown, homemade, and handmade products.
49. Stop by Town & Country to buy flowers, plants, and other dÃ©cor for your house and yard.
50. Sign up for the two person golf scramble at Galaway Creek Golf Course Sunday, July 12.Â
51. Take a selfie with the Welcome to Henderson Sign and post it on Instagram or Facebook. #heyhende
52. Support a different non-profit group each week by purchasing a meal at the Henderson Farmers Market.
53. Attend the Community Church Service in the Downtown Park July 12.
54. Participate in the summer softball/baseball league as a player, coach, umpire or committee member.Â Volunteers are always needed.Â
55. Learn more history about the area by visiting Farmerâ€™s Valley Cemetery.
56. Pick a bench in one of the Henderson parks and read a book.
57. Listen to some oldies as the Revival Band plays in the Downtown Park Friday, July 10.
58. Play on the golf league Thursday evenings.
59. Stop by Heritage Park and check out their selection of books and collectables available for purchase.
60. Start taking pictures for the Fall Photo Contest in the categories of Live, Work, and Play.
61. Shoot hoops at one of the public basketball hoops around town.
62. Purchase a New Yearâ€™s Cookie from Jill Weisheit during the Garage Sales June 13.
63. Check out the historical marker located near the Welcome to Henderson sign.
64. Play tennis at the tennis courts.
65. Checkout the land marker on the southeast corner of the Downtown Park.
66. Host a neighborhood block party.
67. Listen to the Hamilton County Band perform July 28 at 6:30 pm in the Downtown Park.
68. Volunteer during Community Days by contacting the Chamber Office.
69. Buy one of Marcee van den Bergâ€™s pies at the Farmers Market, grab a fork and eat the entire pie. We wonâ€™t tell if you buy the personal size pie or the full pie.Â
70. Climb the inflatable rock wall during Community Days.
71. Hit a few balls at the batting cage.
72. Stop by the ball field concession stand almost any night of the week for burgers, super nachos, walking tacos, and more drinks and snacks.
73. Sign your kids up for one of the Bible schools happening in town this summer.
74. Play a pick-up game at the Sand Volleyball Court.
75. Even though one playground is down for the summer, there are still two city playgrounds to check out.
76. Every tried Geo-Caching before?Â There are three locations near Henderson, so checkout the website and see if you can find them.
77. Play ultimate Frisbee on Sunday evenings by the Heartland Track.
78. Showcase your musical talent on the last Tuesday entertainment at the Farmers Market by contacting the Chamber Office.
79. Visit the Henderson Meat Processors to purchase your favorite specialty meats and cheeses.Â
80. Mark your calendar for the Heritage Park Garden Tour on August 2.
81. Make and enter a float in the Community Days parade.Â This yearâ€™s theme is â€œUnder Construction.â€Â
82. Stop for a scoop of ice cream at Subway.
83. Attend the last Tuesday concern series happening after the Farmers Market on the last Tuesday of each month.
84. Join the water aerobics class at 11 am Monday, Wednesday, Friday at the pool.
85. Check out the new play structures Heartland School will be putting up this summer.
86. Fly a kite in the open spaces at the Henderson Sports Complex.
87. Listen to the musical stylings of Jay Kroeker and Brian Leisher at the Farmers Market date TBA.
88. Join or create a local 4-H club to get items ready for the York County Fair.
89. Stop by Henderson FoodMart to purchase groceries, fountain pop, Huntâ€™s Brothers Pizza, and different lunch menuâ€™s daily.Â
90. Go down the tornado slide in the Downtown Parkâ€“itâ€™s not just for kids.
91. Jump off the high dive.Â Not many pools have them anymore.
92. Whether you are buying or selling, check out the 60+ Garage Sales in Henderson June 13.
93. Hit a bucket of balls at the Galaway Creek Driving Range.
94. Check out the land marker one mile east of Henderson on Road 7.
95. Participate in the Clothing Exchange at Heartland Community Schools July 25 by donated to picking up clothes.
96. Park a lawn chair on the Heartland Schools front lawn and watch the Community Days Parade July 11.
97. HoldÂ aÂ pool party.
98. Eat brick oven pizza from Fired Up Pizza Company July 7 at the Farmers Market.
99. Sign up for the Alumni Basketball Tournament and see how your team stacks up to the competition.
100. Play Frisbee in the Downtown Park.
101. Donâ€™t miss the amazing Fireworks Show Saturday, July 11, at dusk.
Written by Kelsey Bergen
Powered by Facebook Comments