Recipe from Shannon Siebert
One of my familyâ€™s favorite meals is a traditional breakfast casserole with eggs and sausage. After using the same recipe for several years, I decided to mix it up a bit and found a new recipe at www.allrecipes.com.Â It was a definite improvement from my â€œtried and trueâ€ breakfast casserole, and my family agreed!Â I recommend using the pork link sausage from our local Henderson Meat Processors.Â If your eggs are a bit small, go ahead and increase the number of eggs to five and use a firmer white or wheat bread.
This is called â€œChristmas Breakfast Sausage Casseroleâ€ but donâ€™t let that stop you from using this as a great brunch anytime of the year!
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (1 package of Henderson Meat Processors Link Sausage)
- 1 t mustard powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk (Soy or almond milk may be substituted)
- 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 8 oz. mild cheddar cheese shredded
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet or if using link sausage, cut into small pieces.Â Cook over medium heat until evenly browned.Â Drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk.Â Add the sausage, toasted bread cubes, and cheese and stir to coat evenly.Â Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.Â Cover and chill in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes.Â Uncover and reduce temperature to 325 degrees.Â Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until set.Â (Depending on your oven, I had better results baking the casserole for 45 minutes and an additional 20 minutes at lower temperature.)Â I like to let the casserole set for a bit before serving.
Powered by Facebook Comments